Do we KNOW God?

This morning's sermon was quite convicting: do we indeed know God? First, we need to clarify what we mean by knowing. Yes, I have a knowledge of Christ and what He has done, but this idea of knowing God is a more intimate and personal idea. DID YOU KNOW: The same Greek word is used in the context of "knowing God" and "knowing your spouse." It's clear you cannot have a closer relationship in this world than one you have with your spouse because you're one flesh with them! This is the relationship--the knowing--God yearns for us to have with Him. What happens then if we do not have this relationship?  Look at 1 Samuel 2:12.
"Now the sons of Eli were worthless men; they did not know the LORD." (TSK)
What shocks me is the language in the King James Version, where rather than calling them simply worthless, they are called sons of Belial. Who's this Belial character? Why is he so bad? That is another name for the devil. Wow.

I know in my walk with Christ, I build a wall between us when I think I can do things on my own and shape my future the way I would like. Shame on me, the sassy clay who has the nerve to tell the Potter how I should be crafted!

Then, of course, I heard a new song coming home from church: "Find You Here" by Ellie Holcomb. This song is such an encouragement in the midst of a transition, but the part that got me the most was the second verse:
"You say that I should come to You with everything I need. You're asking me to thank You even when the pain is deep. You promise that You'll come and meet us on the road ahead. And no matter what the fear says, You give me a reason to be glad."
God is coming to where I am with overwhelming peace to give me, but my hands are full with my cares and anxieties. If I fully knew God, I would run to Him with no questions asked and leave my concerns at His feet. It's my humanity and pride that stops me in my tracks and asks, Why can't I just do this on my own? I have it all under control. But all I have to do is give the uncertainties, the questions, the anxieties, everything over to the One who is already there. I don't have to get tired from attempting to get everything together. I need to humble myself and give control to God in order to make my relationship with Him a two-way street as every relationship ought to be.

Jesus, break my chains. Tear down any walls I attempt to build around myself --or anything for that matter--that may be keeping me from knowing You. You are offering overwhelming peace to a nation of anxious hearts. Move our hearts and let Your peace percolate through all aspects of our lives. Clear our hands of our cares and allow us the opportunity to accept the gifts You give so graciously. Thank You, Lord, for Your constant provision. Amen.

God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.