Who are we in the Bible? Part Three.

This time around, I couldn't make a witty or goofy title of this post simply because it took me forever to find part two, but who can complain? This title rhymes! Ha! Anyway, I digress... So, who'd'a thunk? I'm off and away again to an uncharted land in my book: South Carolina. What is sending her there? Good question! I'll be in the southeastern tip of South Carolina for the next nine months (an entire school year) teaching ecology to 4-6th grade students at St. Christopher Camp and Conference Center. Yay!

I'm trying to remember back to when I was preparing for Oklahoma, and it's interesting to see the differences in my attitude toward leaving and starting a new job in a new town. I should be more prepared for this endeavor, right? For crying out loud, I drove across the country to chase birds!

What's different, though, is my feeling of adequacy. When leaving for Oklahoma, I had a general idea of what my work day would be like based on my previous bird work I did last summer. This time around, I'm starting from scratch, and the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I'm cut out for the job at all. It makes me wonder why God is leading me to South Carolina (literally gave me the job on a silver platter... no such thing as coincidences!) when I don't feel like I can do the job (it's silly I think this before I even begin the job).

Allow me to introduce myself as Peter. I have my offered job standing before me as Jesus stood before the fishermen on the lake, and my response is fear. This is wrong! What are You doing, God? I can't do this! As time draws closer to August 15, I'm getting tense. God is calling me to South Carolina... He's calling me out to the mysteries of the water to walk with Him, and I'm responding with hesitation: "Are You sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!" Oh golley, can we just laugh at me for a moment? I'm questioning the God of the universe of all people. I'm wondering what He's thinking, sending me off to do this work that I'm not sure if I can do it.

Have you forgotten, Darien, that God doesn't call the qualified but qualifies the called? Sure, it's a cliche that people put on plaques and post in their homes or post as their cover photo on Facebook for a month or so, but it's true! I challenge you to look at the stories of Moses, Esther, Gideon, Jonah, Paul, Abraham, and a multitude of others (just go ahead and read the whole Bible).

"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)
You heard it from the Word of God! The LORD knows best--better than YOU.

Be humbled.

God bless! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

It's in your best interest.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

It's in your best interest.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew