I stand in awe of You.


Photo credit: Darien Lozon.
Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, FL.
I am overwhelmed at how great God's creation is. I knew it was amazing before my class took a trip to the Everglades (located in South Florida), but there were many moments where my breath was taken away by the astounding beauty of it all. Whether we were on a tram through Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge or waist-deep in cypress swamp water, I couldn't help but praise God for all that He has done.

What breaks my heart the most is that some people live in Florida and spend their everyday lives not realizing that these gems are right in their backyards. Let's not be desensitized by the blessings we have around every corner. Let's open our eyes to the greatness that God has for us to discover.



I suppose this blog post is a sort of overall summary of our trip:

  • Eight days and seven nights 
  • Two hotels
  • Eight passengers in a fifteen-passenger van
  • 14+ field trip stops
  • 45+ bird species
  • 15-mile bike rides
  • Daily doses of ice cream
  • Too many rounds of human Frogger
  • 4-hour Big Cypress hikes
  • One snake bite
  • 10+ manatees
  • One glass-bottom boat tour of the Atlantic Ocean
  • Two trips to the Gulf of Mexico
  • 52 color morphs of Liguus spp.
  • One shark
  • Plenty rainy days
  • One serving of sauteed alligator
  • One brave Cate who held a hefty Burmese Python named Lydie (pronounced "lighty")
  • AND SO MUCH MORE!
It boggles my mind that so much could happen in a week. I feel like I could talk all day about this trip, but I feel like my photo highlights will speak for themselves (unfortunately, I didn't get pictures of the down-pouring rain over the lake surrounded by red mangroves that we canoed in...priceless). 

After this trip, the Everglades along with all the controversy and astounding beauty that comes with it is no longer something I read on paper or a list of facts I need to memorize for an exam. To me, the Everglades now has a piece of my heart that I will never get back. When I hear the Everglades, a flood of memories and emotions overwhelm my heart. I am so eager to go back and explore more, learning more about how magnificent God is through His creation.

The psalmist says that "the heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands" (19:1). Cypress knees, bromeliads, slash pine, mangrove tree crabs, sawgrass, and Roseate Spoonbills proclaim that same work of God. Perfection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How can it be?

What are we to do about CEO and NCAA Christians?

White knuckles and sweet peas.