Let me tell you a story.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened" (Matthew 7:7-8).

On my car ride back to campus tonight, I heard plenty of hints to tell of my story because God has made me a storyteller.

Here's the gist: A door is not declared shut until God says so. 

I love this truth. It boggles my mind. I feel like the longer I follow Christ, the more I see His sense of humor as He orchestrates our joys and trials. Let me give you an example that I'm currently going through, and you have permission to laugh with me! :)

I'm looking for grad school. I have been looking for grad school for over a year. That's kind of a long time... I've been told that looking for grad school is essentially signing up for a three-credit class. I didn't believe the professor who told me that, but now it makes complete sense! I digress... So it's been a year since starting the search for a professor who I could possibly work with. With the many emails I have sent, I have had responses along the lines of either "I don't want to take on any more grad students," "We don't have funding for another grad student," or the kicker-in-the-gut, "Your GRE percentile scores are not high enough to qualify for coming into our program." Okay, understandable, and ouch. What do I do with responses like that? Keep looking. Still no luck. At this point, it's October, and I'm completely discouraged (and frightened) that I might not be able to find a professor for a master's program.

That was when I prayed and God told me to wait. Wait? What kind of response is that? I want to know where I'm going after I'm done with Cornerstone. Tell me where I need to go! Wait. Okay, so I'm waiting... Don't know what for, but I'm waiting to jump to any conclusions.

While patrolling the Texas A&M job board, I found a link for potential profs who are accepting new grad students. Bowling Green State University. Okay, why not? Let's look at the prof who is emphasizing in birds. It's become routine to look for anyone researching birds, but this particular prof didn't have what I was looking for. I had a feeling that I should look at another just for kicks. She likes population modeling. I doubt I'll be interested, but why not take a peek? 

I loved what she had to offer. The techniques and principles that she applies in her lab are what I want and so much more out of a master's program. I emailed her. Her response? "I would be delighted to pursue that research further. Do you have any research questions in mind?" WHAT?! This is big. This is HUGE! I've never made such progress in a correspondence in my career! Further along in the conversation, she added, "I think your research interests are very compatible with mine ... I encourage you to apply for Fall 2016."

WHAAA!!?!? Hallelujah! The door that I thought was bolted shut has flown open! As of right now, I'm scheduled to visit Bowling Green State University to meet the professor and talk to the current grad students in the lab.

This story is all to say this: Give your cares to God. Listen to Him when He tells you to stop or go. He knows what He's talking about! :)

God bless! :)

P.S. Now that I think about it, God's Wait was more like a Wait for it...! Such a funny Father we have! :)

Comments