Shape me, Lord! Have Your way in me!

If you're a human being, you understand at one point or another the heartbreak of seeing a person not acting fulfilled or appreciative of a gift that you put so much thought and heart into getting them, yet they throw away your consideration as if it is nothing. God feels this, too, every single day.

Before we were born, God had an idea in mind of the exactness of how we would be created: the purpose we would have, the gifts and talents we would possess, what difference we would make during our short times on Earth, everything. He knew before we were conceived what our strengths would be, our goals and ambitions, our first loves... He also knew before we were conceived what our family dynamics would be, our greatest insecurities, fears, and weaknesses. All of this was brought to us as a gift of identity, wrapped with the Great Commission that God calls us to live for.

What happens instead? We magnify the flaws in our lives and complain: I could be stronger, I could be smarter, Why can't my family be like theirs? Why am I so alone? Why can't I have a relationship like theirs? 

Covetousness is tearing at our identities, causing us to turn away from God and run to the material and visible.

Yes, we look in mirrors every single day and wonder if our lives could be better, but we can't let "what-ifs" to eat at us. Who are we? Who are YOU? Why are you who you say you are? What is the driving factor that leads you to choose this way to live? 

Now, here's the reasoning behind tonight's prompt: you know me. I'm listening to music too often, but music is a blessing to my life, and God definitely works through it to get to me. If you have not listened to "Beautiful" by Bethany Dillon, I highly suggest you listen to it NOW. Just saying. The following is the lyrics with what God says to me and how we--especially I--should apply this message to our lives:

I was so unique 
Now I feel skin deep 
I count on the make-up to cover it all 
Crying myself to sleep cause I cannot keep their attention 
I thought I could be strong 
But it's killing me 
We don't feel good enough as ourselves. We need to make ourselves out to be what society feels is necessary for success: we need no blemishes, crooked teeth, curved bodies, hair out of place. What do we do? We fall to their expectations, failing to see how God sees us.

Does someone hear my cry? 
I'm dying for new life 
We're lost just as our true identities are. We feel so lost in the labyrinth of societal formalities that we succumb to hopelessness.
  
I want to be beautiful 
Make you stand in awe 
Look inside my heart, 
and be amazed 
I want to hear you say 
Who I am is quite enough 
Just want to be worthy of love 
And beautiful 
What are we doing that we feel like we can look to God like we have something to show? We want approval, so we will try to find it anywhere. We soon learn, however, that our arrogance gets us nowhere: never has and never will.

Sometimes I wish I was someone other than me 
Fighting to make the mirror happy 
Trying to find whatever is missing 
Won't you help me back to glory 
Yes, we wish for change sometimes, but God has greater plans that we could ever imagine. It's when we realize that we're trying to fill a God-shaped hole in our hearts with material possessions and other things that we can truly make a change in our lives...because God will be there with us!

You make me beautiful 
You make me stand in awe 
You step inside my heart, and I am amazed 
I love to hear You say 
Who I am is quite enough 

You make me worthy of love and beautiful
It's all GOD. HE is the One who is worthy of all the praises. When we accept the Lord into our lives, we are made anew. WE ARE BORN AGAIN. HE is the One who takes out of the rubble of our sin and makes us beautiful. HE is the One who sees us as priceless children that He would be willing to die for. HE makes us worthy of love. HE is the beauty within us. We need to share this beauty to the sin-stricken world we are called to serve in.


Heavenly Father,

You alone are who makes us worthy of love. You took us out of the pit of inevitable pain and suffering and showered us with unconditional love. Thank You for providing us with ample opportunity to run back to You. I do not deserve Your open arms, yet You sent Jesus to open His arms on the cross. Why would You do that? What do You see in me that’s worthy of dying for? Whatever You see in me, help me to see in myself. I often feel worthless and unqualified to do Your will, whatever that may be. Lord, help me…help us all! We are in desperate need of You in this love-barren world. Without You, we might as well be dead. None of us can show our gratitude enough that would be what You deserve. Shape us, God. Help us to see the world as You do. Help us to see ourselves as You see us. I pray that Your lost sheep would see You in us as Your children and run back to You. It’s all for Your glory that I pray this for me and my brothers and sisters of Christ among this Earth. Amen.

God bless! :)

Comments