Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Photo credit: Abbigail Stefanek
"Then God said, 'Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness....'" --Genesis 1:26a.

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." --1 Peter 3:3-4.

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." --Psalm 139:14

Whether we like it or not, society make an impact--big or small-- on how we view life. In that view of life, there is our definition of beauty and whether or not we meet that standard. I've written on this topic before, but it's important for us to realize something: Satan's usual accomplice in the mission to tear us apart is the simple reflective surface in which we view ourselves. He whispers in our ears that we aren't good enough:

DISGRACE. Look at those hairs out of place. YOU'RE NOTHING BUT TRASH. You aren't thin. What's the matter with you? You better cover up those blemishes. You don't want to draw attention. WORTHLESS. You might as well give up. No hope for you. 

You get the picture. The list goes on, right? What do we do when we hear these voices in our heads? I say we in a personal sense because I hear these voices, too. No matter how many times a person tells me I'm beautiful, I have a little twinge of doubt... always thinking of worst-case-scenario: There's a peanut gallery somewhere that doesn't think so.

Rather than looking to society for the definition of beauty and what businesses plaster on covers of magazines and billboards, look straight up. Even if the whole world turns its back on you, there is our Father in Heaven who loves you for ALL OF YOU. You were created in His image: made PERFECTLY by His will.

This post is inspired by a true story:

I spoke with a young woman who signed in as "Mirror" last night. She couldn't see how God could love her with all that she was experiencing. I don't know if Mirror is really her name, but I thought about it a lot after the conversation ended, and it couldn't fit anymore perfect:

 Mirror: I feel like dirt.


God: I see beauty and WORTH.

Hey mirror,
Who are you to tell me that I'm less than what I should be? ... I don't need to listen to the list of things I should do. I won't try! 

Don't let society define what God already has. You are His precious child--unique and beautiful--and perfect in the eyes of your Creator. 

God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.