Choose your spectacles.

Holy cow! Happy March! My opinion on the debate from FEBRUARY is long overdue. Well, here's my take. I'd love to hear other people's opinions as well. :)

I have heard from a multitude of professors in my college career that when it comes to the creation-evolution debate, evidence provided from both sides is essentially the same evidence: the same numbers and observations are being presented. The difference lies in the perspective in which the evidence is examined. I believe that the Ken Ham-Bill Nye debate shows us a great example of this idea. Here, we have two intelligent men in their fields of study, but in essence, this debate was loaded with circular reasoning, defensive listening, and logical fallacies. One that especially struck me was when Nye blatantly said "...the problem, Mr. Ham, is you" in the context of religious scientists fully believing in the evolutionary theory. To me, that kind of personal attack toward Ham is incredibly unprofessional. I do not want to sound biased in favor of Ham in my analysis of each man's arguments--Ham indeed had fallacies in his arguments. One that I can think of that shocked me was when he came to conclusion that since evolutionists believe that man is merely an animal, they find abortion to be ethical because after all, we're just animals. He, too, came to the rash conclusion that evolutionists favored the idea of "putting old people out of their misery" because they're just animals and they don't matter.

Personally, I take Genesis in the literal sense: God created the heavens and the earth in six 24-hour days. My mind cannot wrap around that idea because His power and all that He is capable of. I cannot explain how He made the world the way He did. We're only human. We don't have all the answers. That is where faith comes in--faith in the Word of God and believing it to be 100% truth. When we get to Glory, we have Eternity to ask Him those burning questions.

I have to be honest: I've lost a lot of respect for Bill Nye after viewing this debate. His statement on "Christians not being able to study science" is an insult to me and any other person who is dedicating their lives to studying God's creation.

Dear Bill Nye the Science Guy:
I am a follower of God, the One and only King of kings. To top it off, I am majoring in environmental biology. Try that one on for size. Thank you.

Signed,
Darien

In all of this, I have to say to those who are discouraged by the words spoken of the world: We are here as a Body of Christ to do what? Glorify our Lord and Father and receive the approval of HIM, not of the world. His Word tells us in Paul's letter to the Galatians:
"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to place people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." 
Be encouraged, friends! If God has called you to go into a vocation, don't let the world stop you. Hold your head high with the truth in your heart that God is leading the way in your life. Not even the greatest of turmoils can shake that truth.

God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.