WWJD?

For those of you who are not aware of what this abbreviation means, the title of this post is asking you "What Would Jesus Do?" It is a question that has been asked to me ever since I was barely able to read with my beginner Bible, but it's a difficult question to answer!

Tonight, I had the privilege of just laying on my bed, allowing my brain to wander. I was surprised where it landed and decided to linger: it stayed back at a time last year where I was going through immense heartbreak from a person who I thought was my friend but soon found after 2013 began that he wasn't. Even worse, they weren't.

Anyways, I didn't know why I would go back to that time in my life--that night that a person I thought was my friend was embracing me, crying in my ear as I crumbled into a vulnerable mush in her arms. It was a God moment by far, but why after so long was my mind going there? Old feelings began to rise: frustration, confusion, anger, depression...so many questions unanswered.... So I went to God: Why? Why them? Why now? I don't want to feel this anymore. I thought I have forgiven them. Why are these feelings still here? 

Opening my Bible, I found my answer in one of the side-notes in Matthew:
"The rabbis taught that Jews should forgive those who offend them up to three times. Peter, in trying to be especially generous, asked Jesus if forgiving someone for the same offense seven (the "perfect number) times was good enough. Bu Jesus' reply (18:22) was a hint that forgiveness was to be offered always. When it comes to forgiving others, are you like a convenience store--open 24/7--or like a store with limited hours?"
In Matthew 18, the parable of the unforgiving debtor is told: a poor man is millions of dollars in debt, but the king lets him go free with no debt to pay. The servant turns around and throws a fellow servant in prison because of the fellow's debt of thousands of dollars rather than showing mercy as he has been shown by the king. In return, the king throws him in prison. The last verse of the parable caught me:
"That's what my heavenly Father will do to you if you refuse to forgive your brothers and sisters from your heart" (Matt. 18:35).
Wow.  

In my devotions, Joyce Meyer mentioned the importance of the word "nevertheless" and how, with every painful or dark situation, there can be light seen in it. I know that the people that caused me harm have moved on and they love each other very much. A blind person could see that, and I pray that God continues to bless them in their relationship. No matter how hard I try to hide it, the pain is still there (stupid sub-consciousness); however, I know that God is going to use this circumstance to strengthen me as a woman of God.

With that being said.... Old wounds are rising, causing me to relive the nights that I cried without warning, days that simple eye contact ripped at my heart;
God has given me an opportunity to not only learn how to love others like He loves me, but EXPRESS that love of the unconditional sort that kept my Savior on the cross.

What does this mean to you?
I'm sure you have a handful of acquaintances in your life that you believe don't deserve forgiveness, but that's the point. As believers, we are called to love like God loves, and He showed love to us, His enemies, by sending His only Son to die on the cross for us despite our scoffing, spitting, and cursing. THAT is the love we are called to show.

"'No, not seven times,' Jesus replied, 'but seventy times seven!'" (Matthew 18:22)

God bless!

You know who you are. I doubt you will ever see this, but I forgive you. I forgive you yesterday, today, and forever. The pain will still be there, but I don't care. I won't let Satan take hold of my heart like I have seen him do before. You two are perfect for each other, and I'm blessed to have had the chance to get to know you when I did. God bless you both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.