Oh, what's in a name!?

Casting Crowns poses an important question: "Who am I that the LORD of all the Earth would care to know my name--would care to feel my hurt? Who am I . . . ?"

We have fingerprints to tell the government who we aren't. We have tabloids to tell us who we aren't. We have people around us, telling us who we aren't. Who are we? What defines us?

Scenario A: You look to me, look at her, then look back at me in disgust. Why can't I seem to make you happy? I feel like a failure in your eyes. I always disappoint you. I'm a square peg trying to be pushed through a circle hole. It's common sense that it won't work no matter how hard you try. I understand. I'm not pretty or smart enough for you. I can never meet the standards that you set. I don't do things the way you want me to. I don't like the things you like. I'm an apple in a crate of citrus fruits: I just don't belong.

Scenario B: You look to me and smile. It seems like I'm the only human on this planet. Whether I succeed or fail, it doesn't matter to you because I always see you looking at me with love in your eyes. It warms me up inside. It makes me feel so much lighter. I feel safe with you. To you, I'm a priceless gem that not even the highest bidder could snatch away. I sometimes do crazy things that you don't like, but sooner than later, you steer me in the right direction once again. I belong in your arms, where you'll never let go.

The first scenario is looking to the ways of the world: people judge who we are, telling us that we aren't good enough for them; media tells us that we need to change our appearances in order to have people like us; immorality creeps around every corner to find the right time to strike. The world is a cookie cutter that everyone must fit in; otherwise, we are doomed to the Island of Misfit Toys.

The second scenario is looking to the ways of God: He loves us unconditionally; our works don't make Him love us any more or less; He relieves us of our burdens; He brings us back to His path when we go astray. No matter what we do, God keeps on loving us!

The world is filled with lies that Satan tries (and, unfortunately, occasionally succeeds) to manipulate us with, saying that we are worthless, our lives are hopeless, and we are broken to the point of no repair. However, remember that these are LIES because "the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows" (Luke 12:7).

So what's the answer to the question: WHO AM I?

A: We are not children of this world but the children of God!
"Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect" (Romans 12:2).
"See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are!" (1 John 3:1).
God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How can it be?

What are we to do about CEO and NCAA Christians?

White knuckles and sweet peas.