Beauty in the broken.

 
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love." --Romans 5:3-5.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." --2 Corinthians 12:9.

"Come, let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces but he will heal us; he has injured us but he will bind up our wounds." --Hosea 6:1.

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." --Psalm 34:18.

"There is not one square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: 'Mine, that belongs to me!'" --Abraham Kuyper.

Tonight, I listened to the song "When Loves Sees You (Jesus)" by Mac Powell. Every time, without fail, the song breaks my heart. Every verse that Powell sings talks about a story in the New Testament where Jesus took people in their weakest state and made them stronger. I don't know about you and the stage of life that you are in right now, but for me, I am experiencing brokenness.

Being broken is confusing. When you accidentally break your grandmother's vase, there are pieces scattered all over the floor with no hope of reviving the once whole pottery that had its beauty on display for everyone in the house to see. There is guilt and tears (and most likely punishment for being such a klutz), and none of that sounds good, so why does the New Testament constantly say that those who mourn are blessed (Matt. 5:4)? Why does Amy Grant sing of God loving a drunkard's cry better than a hallelujah sometimes? There has to be something that's missing here! THERE IS.

While going through trials and struggles, we often zoom into the problem so we can solve it: "Oh, Lord! This and that is happening. Pleeeeaaaasseeeee make this pain STOP! Help me, God!" One thing that I remember learning in AP Calculus in high school is that when solving a derivative, we need to look at the entire motion picture before zooming into a single frame of the movie. Our lives work the same way. God sees the entire movie while we're only seeing the one frame that we're living in right this second.

Zoom out during a problem: "God, I'm having a rough time right now with this and that, but I know You have a greater plan this one moment. Help me surrender to You, Lord. With You, I can walk through this valley of the shadow of death. Draw me closer to You in these tough times."

As Ego says from Ratatouille: "A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective."

Also, think about stained glass murals in church windows such as the picture shown. You need plenty of broken pieces to make the masterpiece. God wants us to give up our broken pieces so He can work in us. In time, and with trust in Him, we will become the people of God He plans for us to be.

"You see the struggle; you see the shame. I see the reason I came." --Jesus.

God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.