Wait... what did he say?

"I don't need to stare at a stained glass and a steeple;
I don't need to dress to impress all the people;
Don't need no priest, don't need no pew;
You are my religion, my religion is you;
I don't need no other purpose, you give me reason;
Ain't their business what I want to believe in;
You are my priest, you are my truth;
You are my religion, my religion is you."

My uncle gave me a copy of the new Rise CD by Skillet, so I thought that since the CD is going to be living in the family van, I should at least listen to it on Spotify. The lyrics above are from their song "My Religion," and red flags came popping up in my head just from the title of the song. Is John Cooper actually singing that God is our RELIGION? Please tell me I'm reading this wrong. I'm taught that God isn't my religion but my SAVIOR.

There are legitimate points in the chorus, though:

I don't need to stare at a stained glass and a steeple: We shouldn't have the mindset that being at church is what makes us Christian. Sitting in a church makes us Christian just as much as sitting in a garage makes us a car.

I don't need to dress to impress all the people: Going to church, we shouldn't judge others and ourselves based on our attire. I like the phrase "Come as you are" because we are going to praise, worship, and learn more about Christ.

Don't need no priest, don't need no pew: I think this has the same idea as the stained glass and steeple. We can worship God in any environment. We don't need a guy in a pulpit preaching to us in order to worship Him. I know I can sit in my bedroom alone with Spotify playing my worship music playlist, and that's all I need to do. My heart just needs to be in the right place.

I don't need no other purpose, you give me reason: God is the reason, in essence, why we live. We live to glorify Him. Any other thing in our lives is just fluff.

Ain't their business what I want to believe in: My guess is that "their" is pointing toward society in general, and it's true that we shouldn't let people govern what we believe. We all have rights, and our belief in God is one of them. We shouldn't live to please the government because if that was our purpose, we'd fail for sure, or if we did succeed, we'd be more along the lines of the government's doormat than a person.

You are my priest, you are my truth: God is known as the Great High Priest (Hebrews 4:15), and He provides the ultimate Truth for us in His Word.

Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but I thought that I'd break this down for a few minutes to see what exactly the message is that Skillet is trying to portray. I guess what they meant by God being our religion is that with our freedom of religion, we choose God to be the priest of our lives.

Something to think about, I guess.

God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.