Ummm.....

"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven." --Matthew 6:1.

This verse causes alarm for me because of my tendencies to seek affirmation for the things I do and, therefore, feed my ego. If Jesus is telling me to NOT practice righteousness in front of others, is posting blogs about what I do to glorify God a bad thing to do?

This verse was the daily verse on YouVersion a couple days ago, and the next morning, I had the thought that maybe not practicing righteousness in front of others was not because God wanted us to do our "adhering to moral principles" (righteousness) in hiding but because people had a tendency to lean toward the wrong audience. We want to hear the praise from society rather than humbly do what God commands of us, not seeking the affirmation.

I don't know... Something to think about, I guess. Ephesians 2:8-10 is good to keep in mind, too.

God bless!

Comments