Steal my show, Audience!

"If You want to steal my show, I'll sit back and watch You go. If You've got something to say, go on and take it away. Need You to steal my show; Can't wait to watch you go, so take it away." --TobyMac.

I probably have two totally different topics going on in my head right now, but I'll find some way to connect them.

When my friend posted on the Living Proof blog, the thought of having God first (see picture at link) reminded me that with everything we do in life, we have an audience, but the audience isn't the people around us or even ourselves: we have an Audience of One.

Like the song by TobyMac, we need to step out of the way and give God center stage with every decision that we make. We can't do things to lift our names up but God's name. I know with me, I need to constantly check myself to make sure that I am writing these blogs every day for the right reason. I don't want to write just to see the post views and get that giddy feeling in my gut, thinking Oooh! The stuff I post is worthy of reading. I'm an encouragement to people! That's wrong! I can't be given the credit because most things that I write about are from the Word of God! I'm just a representative. A messenger. A tool that assists God in proclaiming His Word to the world. Rather than rolling around in a puddle of pride, "Jesus answered, 'It is written: "Worship the Lord your God and serve him only." ' " (Luke 4:8, emphasis added). That "only" exception includes ourselves (yes, every one of us is narcissistic at least once in our lives, whether we notice or not).

Another example: Before I went to Cornerstone University, I wasn't one for hand raising while worshipping God. Evensong was a big change in that aspect for me. Over time, I got friends commenting about my worship, saying, "You are so whole-hearted in your worship to Christ. It's so encouraging to see." I was taken aback that someone noticed me. It began to be that I was raising my hand simply because other people were. I wasn't feeling the sincerity in my praises to God. Over time, I began to pray throughout Evensong: God, this is for You. It's just You and me here. Let me sincerely worship You. It's not for me. It's not for them. All the glory is to You, Father. Nobody else. Sometimes we just need to be honest with God. Our vulnerability is opportunity for us to draw closer to Him. He already knows it, so what do we have to lose?

With every decision we make in our lives, we need to do it for God: to glorify Him and lift His name high, not our own.
"He must become greater; I must become less" (John 3:30).
God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.