Can I see some white flags, please?

We need to dethrone every god fighting for the throne
in our heart that belongs to God. Our life ought to always
have an audience of One.
"The opposite of theism is not atheism; it's idolatry." --Peter Kreeft (qtd. by Kyle Idleman; Gods at War).

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." --1 Corinthians 10:13.

Gods at War by Kyle Idleman is such a good book. Before I begin, I want to recommend this book to you. It is definitely an eye opener and will change your life. As Idleman says, "idolatry isn't an issue-- it is the issue."

You may have noticed that I haven't been on Facebook for the past few days. Because of Idleman's book and what we have recently been going through in Sunday school, I felt challenged by God to avoid Facebook and any other social networking site that I'm associated with for a week (Twitter and Google+, but Facebook was the biggest challenge). I was aware that I was becoming to have an addiction to Facebook, but I didn't think that I would ever worship it. Sunday school shed light on the truth of my life. I was (and still am) an idolater.

Because of the struggle that I have been having with this challenge, I decided to keep a sobriety journal (the title for it was mostly for kicks and giggles, but it sadly has a root of truth in it...). My eyes have been opened to a lot of what God has to offer for me, and this was simply writing a few things down for a few days rather than having my eyes posted on a screen for who knows how long. I'm going to share the prologue and little snipbits of the past four days with you for the rest of the week. Maybe my lessons learned are things you need to hear, too:

DAY BEFORE----7.22.13
 I caught myself thinking a lot after Sunday school yesterday. We were talking about the god of entertainment and made a list of the conditions that make an activity more than an addiction but WORSHIPING that thing. Some thins on that list were as follows:
  • Takes up a lot of your time;
  • You go to fill your "loneliness";
  • You talk about it all the time;
  • You schedule your life around it;
  • Your relationships are hurt by it.
The first thing I thought as examples for each of those conditions was Facebook. The last one especially hit home for me because of the comments from Dad, telling me that I acted as if the stuff posted on Facebook was much more important than my own family. In regards to the other conditions, it definitely took up a lot of my time. It seems as if only five minutes go by, but it's been two and a half hours! Whenever I'm stressed, I run away to Facebook, looking at the posts of other people, being happy with their happy posts, numbing the pain I have in my heart from what goes on in my house---it's my way to run away from reality. [The Sunday school teacher] mentioned, "What do you talk about at the dinner table?" I know how his family has in-depth Biblical conversation, but what about my family? We usually don't say anything [because the food is so good and we're starving], argue [about the smallest of most unimportant things], talk about our days for Dad because he was gone at work all day, and/or [my sister] and I would mention pictures and posts we found on FACEBOOK. With scheduling my life, I usually do things quickly in order to get back to [Facebook]  or completely forget [to do things] because I'm consumed in what's going on in my News Feed.
Am I being ruled by the god of entertainment? Am I becoming so consumed by the hype of Facebook that it's throwing God off His thrown in my life? That is the LAST thing I want happen whether it's the god of entertainment, success, whatever! Idolatry isn't on my to-do list. Ever.
I prayed that night, "God, help me to not go on Facebook tomorrow. Help me to fight the temptation to go on for the rest of the week. Draw me close to You, Father. My phone is off, and I feel so FREE!" After that, as I laid in my bed, I felt a peace. I felt a sense of victory, and I hadn't even started the battle yet*!
LORD, GIVE ME STRENGTH. I'M GOING SOBER.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 *Here's something I learned on day one: I felt that peace and victory because God is standing at my side through every minute of this battle, no matter how bad it looks.
"No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you" (Joshua 1:5).
Even though that was written for Joshua in the circumstances he was standing before, it's true for every single one of us. Amen!

God bless!

Comments

  1. Thanks you for the list of things that make an activity or item an addiction :) super helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely more, but those are just the ones I could remember. I'm glad they could help you! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment