RUN, FORREST!

At church yesterday, the service was dedicated to the reflection of what had happened in the past week with the missions team that went to Ohio. The teens and adults shared their testimonies and snipbits of how moving the trip was for all of them and how they made better relationships with each other and God. What I really liked was when the leader elaborated on what the group emphasized in devotional time throughout the week: they looked through 2 Timothy 4, and during the service, he looked at the verses when Paul writes to Timothy that he "fought the good fight" and "finished the race" (v. 7). His question to us was, "What does Paul mean when he says that he fought the "good" fight? What is he really trying to tell Timothy here? How can we fight the good fight in the twenty-first century?

I absolutely love how my brain works, and God must've had a fun time making it so my brain could make random connections to the strangest of things. Let me explain:

During my freshman year of college, I was required to read Why College Matters to God by Rick Ostrander, and one of the things that Ostrander emphasized was that we as Christians aren't called to separate the things in our lives into sacred and secular groups. We are called to live out our lives, loving others and loving God in whatever circumstances we encounter. We aren't to block time in for God and then set Him aside. He is to be a part to all aspects of our lives. THAT is what it means to fight the "good" fight. The leader (who is also the youth pastor) brought up the question: "Who are we when we aren't surrounded by people who know we are saved? How do people see us?" I know we aren't supposed to have what people think about us guide our decisions in our lives, but we are called to be representatives of Christ. Right? So it seems like we need to live our lives for Christ even when we're living our everyday lives just to get by.

During the sermon, "finish the race" brought a song (of course) to my head:
"Spirit now living and dwelling within me,  
keep my eyes fixed ever on Jesus' face.  
Let not the things of this world ever sway me.  
I'll run 'til I finish the race."
The race will certainly be difficult to run. There will definitely be hurdles along the way, but it's nothing to be discouraged about. Let's keep our eyes fixed on Jesus and what he promises because he is the only constant thing in our lives; therefore, we can fully trust in him without needing to worry!

God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.