Remember to breathe.

I will never forget the day when I was sitting in church and the pastor said that worry is a form of atheism. It definitely brought me back from wherever I was in my zone. I worry all the time about the dumbest things. Does that make me an atheist? How is worrying a form of atheism? As the pastor continued on, it made sense: when we worry, we are in the mindset that our problem is bigger than what God can handle when the truth is that nothing is too big that God can't handle. When we worry, we doubt the almighty power of God.

Rather than belittling the role of God in our lives, let's trust in Him.

I speak from experience when I say that it is most definitely easier said than done, but why is it that way? I have a list as long as I am tall (5'8") of things that I worry about. Why can't I just give it all to Him and LEAVE IT THERE? I don't know about you, but I have the bad habit of casting my anxieties and cares to God (Psalm 55:22; 1 Peter 5:7) only to take them back and let the yoke set on my shoulders again, sending my face into the pavement.

It's difficult to give up control. How do I go from me knowing everything to giving God all the things, hoping that things work well in my favor? What's so great is that God knows us better than we know ourselves and "in all things God works for the good of those who love him" (Romans 8:28).

What's also great is that we don't have to solely depend on hope for our sanity. This afternoon, I was talking with my grandparents about a trip to Ireland that I want to take for a study abroad trip, and I said something along the lines of I really hope I can somehow find the funds for this. That is where my grandma came in and said, "We don't just hope. We pray, too." It seems like whenever we "hope," there is a seed of doubt there. "I hope so" sounds as if it has a hint of dread in it. I guess it's not what you say but how you say it... Anyways, I digress.

Although that tangent was, well, a tangent, my grandma had a great point. Rather than worrying, we ought to "pray continually" (1 Thessalonians 5:17). God wants to hear what we're struggling with daily even though He already knows it all. He desperately wants a relationship with us.

Let's not forget how great our God is. If you ever need a reminder, look out a window. Everything you see and beyond is God's creation simply by Him speaking it into being. God has the entire world in the palm of His hand, and that includes any problem you will face in your life. Take a breath!
" 'I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world' " (John 16:33).
God bless!

P.S. I have a tendency to be extremely hypocritical. I most certainly need to work on "practicing what I preach," so to speak. Prayers would be greatly appreciated. If you need prayer, I will certainly do that for you as well. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Give whatcha got.