"Prone to wander; Lord, I feel it..."

The first time I had ever heard the song "Come Thou Fount" by whoever wrote it (there are so many different versions of the song because it's such an old song, but I like the version by Jadon Lavik), I was taken aback by the thought of being "prone to leave the God I love." Who in their right mind would deliberately abandon the everlasting and unconditional Love that God promises to us? Why am I singing a song that is saying, "I want to walk away from God"? Does the act of wandering only mean that we denounce our faith? After thinking about this past Sunday's sermon at my church, I began to realize that there are many different ways that we "wander" from God.

The sermon was titled "Gideon: To fleece or not to fleece," expanding on the story of Gideon (Judges 6) and how he tested God when He called Gideon out to battle by sending an angel to him. It seems like an innocent act to ask God for a sign to make sure that He will come through with His Word, right? Noooooooooooooo! This act goes to show Gideon's lack of faith in God's Word. If Gideon fully trusted in God, he would leap to his feet and wholeheartedly gone out to do as God commanded, but that's not what he did:
"Gideon said to God, 'If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised-- look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew on ly on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said.' And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew-- a bowlful of water. Then Gideon said to God, 'Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew.' That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew" (Judges 6:36-40, emphasis added).
Gideon not only tested God, but he tested God twice. The fleece was Gideon's token of unbelief, showing that his trust in God was conditional: "God, I'll trust in you if...." I'm going to be honest and say that I am guilty of testing God many times in my life, asking for a sign in a situation. I thought it was a normal thing, asking God to show His "divine presence," but we as Christians ought to know that God is always going to be there, no matter what the circumstances may be. It's true that God has never left His followers and doesn't ever plan on changing that fact.

It's crazy that we are all prone to wander. Lord, I do feel it! There are so many things in our lives --material things-- that we could easily try to fill our hearts with to try to make us whole, hoping for instant gratification, but it will never work. There will always be that God-shaped hole in all of us.

God bless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

It's in your best interest.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew

Popular posts from this blog

Remember.

Let's have a chat, Mirror.

It's in your best interest.

Way back when...

Reflections on meeting Matthew