49386564920756583984 time's the charm.

"'Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow road that leads to life, and only a few find it.'" --Matthew 7:13-14.

Thanks to the YouVersion Bible app that I have been allowed to download on my Android, I get daily Bible verses that encourage me whenever I see my home page. What's really interesting, however, is all of the detail that I miss when I do my daily Bible reading. I have read through the entire Bible once in six months (it was my New Year's Resolution last year to read the Bible in the year, but.... yeah, my math hiccupped), and I am currently working on reading through the entire Bible again this year. Today's verse is Proverbs 21:2 and, having read through Proverbs semi-recently (around last week), it was surprising that I completely read over this verse without it registering through my brain that I was reading it and the message that it was meaning to convey:
"A person may think their own ways are right, but the Lord weighs the heart" (NIV).
This verse brings about something that every person wrestles with somewhere in their lives: the idea of our own strength and intelligence, thinking that our way is the best way. I know in my life, this verse comes into play when it comes to what career path I want to pursue. Sure, I have an idea, but I don't know if that's what God intends for me in my life with the gifts He has given me. It's difficult to determine, which is exactly the point! We don't need to know how our life is going to go because God has it all planned out already. When we take the narrow road, there may be rough turns and obstacles on the way, but it's all worth it in the end when we fulfill God's purpose for us in our lives and we reach the end of that road to SEE God and live forever with Him in Heaven.

When we go to make a choice that can significantly change our lives, we need to turn to Christ and trust that He will give us wisdom to make the best choice for us because God knows what is best for us. He wants that for us because He loves us!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of this came from a simple verse--a verse that I browsed over during my devotional time. This is why we ought to continue to dive into God's Word because we will never have enough of what He has to say in His love letter to us. Like a movie, when you watch it the first time, you don't get every little detail. That's why when you go to watch it for the 28th time, you laugh because of something you never caught before. The Bible is the same way! We could miss a verse or read over one and not catch all that it has to say. The Lord has given us an opportunity to read what He wants us to know. We ought to take full advantage of that because every question we have about situations we go through can be answered in the Bible. We just need to know where to start.

God bless!


Comments